Imagine this. Rounds of goat cheese crusted with bread crumbs and pan-fried until golden brown served over your favorite salad with a tangy lemon poppy seed dressing.
Now imagine biting through the crispy outer crust into the warm, soft, oozing interior and how the little bite from the creamy lemon dressing works at bringing out the flavors in the cheese so well that it almost makes you swoon.
Now as you go in for a second bite imagine yourself wondering “where has fried goat cheese been all my life?”
Now stop imagining and go make this! And make it soon. Make it for everyone you know. Then come back and thank me.
I didn’t list amounts for the fried goat cheese because it is more of a method than a recipe. You can make a few for one salad or many, as needed.
- Freeze the goat cheese for 20 minutes before slicing. Use a sharp paring knife or dental floss to slice the goat cheese into 1/2-inch rounds or dip a paring knife into warm water and wipe off between cuts.
- Set up a dredging station by adding both the bread crumbs and egg to separate shallow bowls. Dredge the goat cheese rounds by first dipping in egg and then coating with bread crumbs, using your hands to pat the crumbs on. Set on a cutting board or platter lined with parchment and freeze 20 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor add the lemon zest, lemon juice, mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard - pulse until combined.
- Run the food processor continuously and stream in the olive oil until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the poppy seeds and season to taste with salt.
- After 20 minute heat a heavy-bottomed skillet with enough oil to generously coat the bottom on medium heat.
- Pan fry the goat cheese rounds on both side until golden brown about 4 - 5 minutes each.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve with romaine hearts dressed with lemon poppy seed dressing.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.