Hiding inside these big, soft chocolate chip cookies is a delightful surprise! It’s like getting two cookies for the price of one because encased in the center is a soft, creamy flourless peanut butter cookie.
My life will never be the same.
Baking these is a little more involved then your everyday cookie. For starters you have to make two cookie doughs although the peanut butter cookies are super fast and easy to make, with only four ingredients you can almost make them with your eyes closed.
The part that’s tedious work is assembling the cookies. You have to scoop and shape three cookies only to turn it into one – two bigger discs of chocolate chip cookie dough to wrap around one small disc of peanut butter cookie dough. They’re piled on top of each other than the edges are brought together and sealed.
So. . .maybe you’re thinking why don’t I just make a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie?! Boo.
These are so much more fun! And different. First, all you taste is a chocolate chip cookie then the salty pop of peanut butter kicks in and makes the flavors bloom.
Cookies are not my dessert of choice. For me to even look at a cookie it has to be above average. An ordinary cookie just won’t do but a giant cookie like this with a whole other cookie in the middle? A cookie that takes more than three bites to eat and leaves your taste buds and sweet tooth feeling satisfied?
That’s a cookie I can sink my teeth into. Over and over again.
Hiding inside these big, soft chocolate chip cookies is a delightful surprise! It's like getting two cookies for the price of one because encased in the center is a soft, creamy flourless peanut butter cookie.
- In a medium bowl beat the peanut butter and sugar together on medium speed (the mixture will be thick) 2 - 3 minutes until well combined.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- In a large separate bowl beat butter with both sugars together on medium until creamy 2-3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture 1/4 at a time. Stir in the chocolate chips. The dough may seem a little crumbly - that's normal. Refrigerate 30 minutes - 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 2 cookie sheets with silpats or parchment paper.
- Form the cookies one at a time: Scoop up a heaping tablespoon of the chocolate chip dough and pat it into a flat, thick disc. Scoop up a heaping teaspoon of the peanut butter dough and pat into a smaller disc, place it on top of the chocolate chip cookie disc. Repeat with the chocolate chip cookie dough and place it on top. Bring the edges together all the way around and seal so the peanut butter cookie is encased. If little bits of it are peeking out that's ok.
- Place them on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 12 - 16 minutes until lightly golden brown on the bottom for soft cookies, a couple minutes longer if you like them crispier.
- Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store tightly covered in a cool place up to 5 days.
Technique adapted from Picky Palate
Peanut Butter cookies adapted from Food Network
Chocolate Chip Cookies adapted from Very Best Baking
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved