Shake up pizza night with this delicious pizza roll-up bake!
Italian sausage & peppers rolled up in pizza dough with mozzarella cheese, sliced into pinwheels and baked in a casserole with pizza sauce.
The recipe starts with cooking Italian sausage in a frying pan followed by peppers, onions and garlic.
Pizza dough is rolled out into a triangle and layered with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, the sausage that’s been cut up, the peppers & onions followed by more mozzarella.
The dough is rolled up like a cinnamon roll, sliced into rounds and laid flat in a bed of sauce to bake.
I use store bought dough for convenience but if you have a favorite recipe you can use that. You can also use ground sausage instead of links.
It bakes up into a hot, delicious mess.
The next best thing to pizza.
|Sausage & Pepper Pizza Roll-up Casserole|| |
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage (or a mix)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 + ¾ cups pizza or a good tomato sauce (Like Newman's Own)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 + ⅓ cups of fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large frying pan with a lid heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning to brown on all sides.
- Once all sides are browned put the lid on and cook about 10 minutes or until cooked through the center. Remove to a cutting board.
- In the same pan using the sausage grease cook the bell peppers, onion and garlic over medium-low heat, stirring often until softened. Remove from heat and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch or similar sized baking pan or casserole dish generously with butter. Spread 1 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the pan.
- On a floured surface roll the pizza dough out with a rolling pin to 12 inches wide by 14 inches long. If the dough is being stubborn and won't stretch let it rest 10 minutes and try again.
- Spread ¾ cup of sauce over the dough, sprinkle the oregano over that and 1 cup of the mozzarella.
- Remove the sausage to a cutting board and cut them in half lengthwise and then each half in half again. Dice them up and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Spoon the pepper and onion mixture over the sausage. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Starting at one of the shorter ends roll the dough up. Slice into 1 + ½ inch wide slices gently with a serrated knife and transfer them as you slice to the baking dish. If they lose their form push them back into shape - once they cook it won't matter.
- Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer or until cooked in the center.
- Garnish the top with the remaining mozzarella and let rest five minutes before serving.