Side Dish Saturdays: Crustless Cauliflower Quiche

Crustless Cauliflower Quiche

This crustless quiche recipe features fresh cauliflower florets with garlic, Swiss cheese and plenty of fragrant thyme. It’s a light and eggy savory pie that can serve as a side dish or as the main attraction.

Cauliflower is just coming into season in my neck of the woods making it dirt cheap and as fresh as can be. In my house quiche is a go-to meal, the dish we turn to when we’ve exhausted our ideas. Aside from being a dish everyone loves, it’s versatile and we always have eggs on hand. Next time you’re thinking of breakfast for dinner take it one step further and make a quiche instead!

This week’s Side Dish Challenge is cauliflower. The badge is still in the works…I will have it for you soon.

Guidelines:

1. Make and post a side dish recipe with cauliflower as the main ingredient between now and Friday, August 20th.

2. Mention it is for Side Dish Saturdays with a link back to this post. Add your link below by Friday at midnight (Eastern time) and be sure to leave me a comment telling me you did so.

3. No soups, stews or main dishes (unless they can also be a side), please. If you’re unsure don’t hesitate to ask first.

Crustless Cauliflower Quiche

************************************************************************
Crustless Cauliflower Quiche
(loosely adapted from Epicurious)

2 1/2 to 3 cups cauliflower florets, cooked
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated
5 eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces Swiss Cheese, shredded
5-6 slices Bacon, cooked, crumbled, optional

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Butter a 9-inch pie pan and sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs and Parmesan.

3.Saute garlic in oil over low heat until fragrant.

4. Arrange the cooked cauliflower over bottom of dish. Sprinkle garlic over top, then bacon if using, then Swiss.

5. Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, salt and pepper. Carefully and slowly pour over top of the cauliflower and cheese.

6. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden and set in the middle. Allow to cool 5 minutes before slicing. Serve as a side dish or as a main with a green salad and a slice of crusty bread.

Printable Recipe
************************************************************************

Crustless Cauliflower Quiche

foodie_views_submit_or_vote();

Bookmark and Share

Comments

1. bistrogerard says

That looks great! We're getting a bit bored with cauliflower here in Australia (we're approaching the end of winter, so we've had plenty of it for the past few months), but your quiche looks delicious. Must try it while the cauliflower here is still in season :-)

2. Monet says

I adore cauliflower (it is my favorite vegetable by far) and who doesn't love a cheesy quiche? What a great recipe…something that I will be making VERY SOON!

3. Debbi Does Dinner He says

This looks awesome! I wish I had seen this post BEFORE I shopped for next week! I would have bought a cauliflower, I have several recipes that I've been meaning to make. This week my sides all have to do with squash and zucchini! Big shock, huh!!

4. BeadedTail says

I've never had quiche and certainly didn't know it could be made with cauliflower but this looks so good I'll have to try it! Purrs to Moon!

5. Ana Powell says

I must admit that I haven`t bought a cauliflower for quite a while now, shame on me.Your side dish looks very tasty.Wishing you a lovely Sunday ♥

6. elspeth says

Hi! Luscious looking and will be making it soon!If you get a chance, please let me know if you steamed/boiled/microwaved the cauliflower before using it in the quiche. If so, did you have to dry it thoroughly before making the quiche? Also, do you think yogurt or evaporated milk could be substituted for the cream in order to reduce calories?Thank you, in advance, for your time and cooperation in this matter. I'm a new cook and need to know a LOT of basic things. [My email address is alagaillard@att.net.]

7. Federica says

Your quiche looks just for me, dear! I'm always in favor of the filling and this is all just filling ^__^ Wonderful! Bye, have a great Sunday :X

8. Chiara "Kika&qu says

I'm so excited!!! I know that getting excited about cauliflower sounds… dorky to say the least, but I really am excited both about the quiche and entering my recipe. Off to buy cauliflower I go…