Tender, flaky sour cream biscuits speckled with chives. They use both butter and sour cream for fat and bake up tall and fluffy with lots of layers.
The sour cream and chive flavor is subtle and slightly reminiscent of sour cream and onion dip. I love that flavor. You can use scallions in place of chives or leave them out all together.
As I was making these I pondered why I don’t make biscuits more often. It gives you time to think without being too involved. The measuring, the mixing and the patting out of the dough. All stress relievers. Plus you get to use a rolling pin and a biscuit cutter. Fun.
They bake up fast enough that you can get almost immediate gratification from them. No waiting for pesky dough to rise like with bread.
I mean who wouldn’t want a fresh, hot biscuit straight from the oven with a pat of melting butter. . . in less than 30 minutes from start to finish? No one I know.
The clock starts now. Go. Bake.
Tender, flaky sour cream biscuits speckled with chives.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or two knives scissor fashion until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl stir together milk and sour cream until mixture is almost smooth then stir in the chives.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk mixture. Using a wooden spoon stir just until the dough sticks together.
- Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, flour your hands and knead about 10 times or until dough holds together.
- Pat or roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter (I used a 2") or round cookie cutter and place on a parchment lined or non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.