A zesty Southwestern soup to jazz up your life. If not your life then your taste buds. Because maybe your life doesn’t need it but your taste buds? They always do.
This hearty soup has a range of flavors and colorful ingredients like shredded chicken, spicy jalapeño peppers, red peppers, red onions, earthy black beans, sweet corn, fresh tomatoes, lime, cilantro and buttery avocado. It’s a flavor explosion. A party in a bowl.
The soup is so flavorful it really doesn’t need a lot of accoutrements. It all depends on your mood. You may want to load it up with the usual suspects – sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips. A squeeze of extra lime. But it isn’t necessary.
Cornbread, crusty bread or even a cheese quesadilla would be welcome to join the party too. Sometimes soup doesn’t feel like a complete meal without a piece of bread for dunking.
I’ve included directions for both the slow cooker and the stove top. Because I love you like that.
This hearty soup is a flavor explosion with shredded chicken, spicy jalapenos, red peppers, red onions, earthy black beans, sweet corn, fresh tomatoes, lime, cilantro and avocado.
- In a large saute pan heat a few tablespoons oil over medium-low heat; add onion, pepper and jalapeno, season well with salt and pepper and cook until tender stirring often 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the vegetables to the crockpot.
- Squeeze one of the limes over the chicken breasts and season well with salt and pepper on each side. Heat the same pan over medium-high heat with a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil. Sear the chicken breasts 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly golden. Remove to crockpot.
- Add the chicken broth, thyme, parsley, cilantro, corn, black beans, tomatoes and squeeze the remaining lime into the pot. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook on high 4 hours or low 6-8.
- Remove chicken and shred or cut into bite-size pieces. Return back to pot along with the diced avocado. Serve with additional lime, sour cream, shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips if desired.
- Heat a few tablespoons oil over medium-low heat in a large soup or stock pot. Add onions, peppers and jalapenos, cook until tender 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Meanwhile chop the chicken into bite-size pieces; add to a bowl along with the juice of one lime and season well with salt and pepper; toss well. Add to the cooked vegetables and brown on all sides over medium heat.
- Add broth, thyme, parsley, cilantro, corn, black beans, tomatoes and the juice of the remaining lime. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Taste the broth and reseason as needed. Mix in avocado right before serving with additional lime, sour cream, shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.