Spicy chorizo sausage joins forces with chickpeas, sweet potatoes and fresh baby spinach in this hearty, flavorful soup. A unique garnish of hard-boiled eggs and bacon (or ham) adds a salty richness for a super tasty Spanish twist. A generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil doesn’t hurt either and adds a silkiness like nothing else can.
The tomato infused broth is the perfect backdrop for the chorizo. I love how the seasonings in the chorizo help flavor the soup and turn the broth a deep shade of copper.
It’s no surprise that every bite includes a different combination of wildly delicious ingredients. The soup is jam-packed with earthy chickpeas, naturally sweet potatoes, fresh spinach, garlic and all the fattiness of the sausage, eggs, bacon and olive oil.
All taken apart it sounds like a lot but all together it works and works unforgettably well.
So. . . warm up, fill up, soothe and satisfy your hungry soul.
Spicy chorizo sausage joins forces with chickpeas, sweet potatoes and fresh baby spinach in this hearty, flavorful soup. A unique garnish of hard-boiled eggs and bacon (or ham) adds a salty richness for a super tasty Spanish twist.
- In a large soup or stock pot heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil over medium heat; add the
- Chorizo links and cook - turning to brown them well on all sides. Remove to a cutting board.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the pan along with the onions and celery, cook over medium-low heat 6-7 minutes; add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, broth and tomatoes with their juices. Slice the chorizo into 1/2-inch thick rounds and add to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in spinach and cook 5-10 more minutes. Stir in a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (preferably Spanish) and serve with grated egg and ham or bacon sprinkled over top.