I can’t think of a better place for fresh strawberries than situated between a vanilla cake and a generous double crumb topping covered in sticky vanilla glaze! Serve warm or cold with fresh whipped cream or even better – a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delectable summer-time dessert.
The cake is a cross between a layer cake, coffee cake and a fruit bar. It can do double duty as a dessert and as a breakfast treat.
Although you can eat it straight from the oven – warm – I prefer it the day after baking. It tastes even better after the flavors are left to develop overnight. The strawberries and crumbs meld together and sink a little into the cake giving it an almost magical quality.
This is one of those sure things. Worth turning on the oven for even if it’s hot and using up every last one of those strawberries hanging out in your kitchen. The ones you’ve enjoyed popping into your mouth like the true nature’s candy they are.
Cake-to-mouth is a better option.
Vanilla cake makes the perfect showcase for fresh summer strawberries with a double crumb topping and vanilla glaze.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the topping ingredients with a fork until well-combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set in freezer.
- Add the strawberries to a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer beat sugar and butter together on medium speed 2 minutes. Beat in egg.
- On low speed beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture then 1/2 the buttermilk. Repeat again ending with the flour. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla.
- Spread the dough out in the bottom of the pan. Pour the strawberries and juice on top and spread out evenly. Using your hands crumble the topping over the strawberries.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean 30 - 35 minutes.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and creamy, adding more milk or confectioners' to get the right consistency. Drizzle over top of the cake.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.
Adapted from Serious Eats
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.