Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff (Eggless and Corn-Syrup Free)

Homemade marshmallow fluff bursting with fresh strawberries and honey. No eggs or corn syrup involved.

Marshmallow fluff is kind of like the inside of a warm marshmallow.

Sticky, gooey, creamy, sugary and soft.

Use this spreadable confection to fill whoopie pies, sandwich cookies or cakes, make frosting, top ice cream, in s’mores, for fluffernutter peanut butter sandwiches, or slathered over cookies or crackers.

If none of that suits you there’s always my personal favorite. Right off the spoon. Who doesn’t like to eat spongy, sweetened pretty-in-pink clouds? Not me.

Two sides of heaven.

The recipe requires a stand mixer, a candy thermometer and no interruptions.

Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff (Eggless and Corn-Syrup Free)

Yield: about 7 cups

Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff (Eggless and Corn-Syrup Free)

Homemade marshmallow fluff bursting with fresh strawberries and honey.

Bloom:
1/8 teaspoon salt
Thickener:
1-3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:

Bloom:
  1. In a medium microwave safe bowl whisk together the strawberries and water; whisk in gelatin and set aside.
  2. Syrup:
  3. In a large saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer stir together the strawberries, 1/2 cup of the honey, all the sugar, the water and salt. Heat over medium heat 5 minutes then turn heat up to medium high; cook until it reaches 240 degrees F. The syrup will boil up; adjust heat if needed to stop it from bubbling over the sides of the pan. Don't leave it unattended; keep children and pets away; keep a close eye on it and stir often.
  4. Meanwhile add the remaining 1/2 cup honey to the mixer; microwave the gelatin and strawberries 20 seconds on high. Add them to the mixer with the honey. Start mixer on low; drape a clean kitchen towel over the front and side of the mixer leaving one side open for adding the hot syrup.
  5. When the temperature reaches 240 F. slowly pour the syrup into the mixer bowl while on low speed, don't scrape any burnt or stuck parts off the bottom of the pan. Turn mixer up to medium speed and beat 6 minutes.
  6. Stop the mixer and add 1 cup confectioners and the vanilla extract. Start on low and once sugar is absorbed turn mixer up to high and beat 2-3 minutes.
  7. Stop the mixer again and access thickness of the fluff; if needed add another cup of confectioners' start on low and turn up to high speed 2-3 more minutes.
  8. Repeat until the fluff is of a spreadable consistency keeping in mind it will thicken up a little further overnight. Once it reaches your desired consistency beat on high speed an additional 2-3 minutes.
  9. Allow fluff to cool and spoon into jars. Store tightly sealed in refrigerator 3-4 weeks.
  10. To clean your sticky utensils put them in the bowl of the mixer in the sink and pour boiling water over them; allow to sit; the sugar will dissolve. To clean your sticky saucepan boil water in it and the sugar will dissolve.

Adapted from Marshmallow Madness

Comments

1. Michelle S says

Approx. how many jars and what size does this make? I want to be prepared with the proper amount before I start this endeavor. Thanks! My niece has a corn allergy so we’re always looking for easy marshmallow type ideas. Is there a way to do it plain?

Hi Michelle! Here’s the link to the plain marshmallow fluff – you can substitute honey for the corn syrup in this one. It’s hard to measure fluff with all that stickiness. I would have 3 large jars ready (like pasta sauce size) or 6 smaller ones.

2. Michelle says

Hi Reeni. Taste-o-vision would be good right about now. Been searching for an eggless marshmallow fluff/frosting forever as my boys are allergic to eggs (and :-( possibly have a growing sensitivity to strawberries). I have recently tried a recipe using mini marshmallows & cream and although it tasted yummy, it wasn’t fluffy at all. Would it be possible to adapt your recipe to make vanilla-flavored fluff? How much liquid will offset the strawberries in both the bloom & syrup? Thank you for sharing your recipe & scrummy photos.

Hi Michelle! I’m not sure how to adapt this particular recipe! It’s been over a year since I made it. . . I will see if I can find an eggless recipe for you or I will do some experimenting and nail down a recipe. I’ll be in touch soon and let you know how I make out!

3. HenuEnna says

Hi!
    I would really lilke to try this but I’m not sure about one thing. There is 1+1/2 cups of sugar listed in the strawberry syrup ingredients but it is not mentioned when you have to add it. I would assume it goes in mix that is heated to 240F but since its kind of divided I really don’t know what I’m supposed to do with it?

4. BWhiz says

Would you be able to pipe this onto a cake? Or would it run? I am trying to find an non-dairy and non-egg cake and whip topping recipe.

5. Allison says

Was hoping for a vegan plain…you attached a link for plain but you used egg in it. Anything for plain and eggless? Thanks

6. nightphyre says

Hmmm…..think this is going to be really good and INSPIRES me to get back on my researching quest to create a “diabetic friendly” marshmallow. I am NOT a diabetic, but seem to continue to be around people who are since 2 Aunts who had it, have both passed. (not from diabetes!) I have redone a TON of old family recipes to be “diabetic friendly” (including desserts) but haven’t cracked the code for marshmallows which would open the door to so many MORE treats for them! (Which is something they both missed) Thanks for giving me new hope and inspiring me again!