A single layer cake topped with fresh strawberries and sprinkled with sugar. The sugar forms a crunchy coating over the top of the cake that is delectable with the tartness of the berries.
The cake itself is buttery and moist with a dense crumb that is perfect paired with a cup of tea or coffee. It’s the yogurt that keeps it from drying out and adds great flavor.
Don’t hold back on the berries! I did and shouldn’t of. It will look like you have too many but the cake will puff up over them and they will shrink a little during the baking process. It’s better to err on the side of too many than too few.
This is a great little cake for whipping up on a whim. It comes together quickly and bakes up like a dream. You can use a springform pan, my preference, or a pie pan as recommended in the original recipe.
A single layer cake topped with fresh strawberries and sprinkled with sugar. The sugar forms a crunchy coating over the top of the cake that is delectable with the tartness of the berries.The cake itself is buttery and moist with a dense crumb that is perfect paired with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch spring form pan or pie plate.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together until fluffy and pale yellow 3 - 4 minutes.
- On low speed beat in the egg, yogurt and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture gradually.
- Spoon into the pan and arrange the strawberries over the top of the batter, cut sides down. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons sugar over the top.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake until golden brown and firm to the touch 50 - 60 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve with fresh whipped cream. Store at room temperature, loosely covered, up to 2 days or refrigerate to keep for 3 - 4 days.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Copyright ©2014 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved