A creamy butternut squash and smoky cheddar cheese soup that’s been kissed by the natural sweetness of apples. The trio form a perfect balance of savory, salty, smoky and sweet.
Are you thinking this is the perfect fall soup? It totally is. One that can hold it’s own right through winter. Plus it’s a cinch to make starting with sauteing onion and garlic then simmering it all together with the squash in chicken broth.
Once the squash is tender you puree it with apples until smooth and velvety, mix in the smoked cheddar and, if you like, depending on your mood, to give it a touch of richness, a little half & half. Totally optional.
A creamy butternut squash and smoky cheddar cheese soup that's been kissed by the natural sweetness of apples. The trio form a perfect balance of savory, salty, smoky and sweet.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, a few pinches of salt and pepper and cook 6 - 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the butternut squash and broth. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook 25 - 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the apples. Puree the soup with a stick blender or in batches in the blender holding the top down with a kitchen towel so it won't blow off from the steam.
- Return the soup to the saucepan over low heat and stir in the cheese and half & half. Bring back up to heat.
- Serve garnished with a sprinkling of cheese and chives.
Adapted from Food and Wine
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved