Tex-Mex Black Bean Veggie Burgers

This will go down in history as the summer of veggie burgers.

What it won’t be is the summer of tomatoes. Hundreds in my garden still cling to their young, green selves. Someone forgot to send them the memo youth is not eternal.

These jazzed-up burgers are equal opportunists and can be made with beans or ground beef. Whatever one you favor will work well with the diced tomatoes, corn, coriander and chipotle chiles spicing them up.

They have a zesty kick of heat to them that cries out for buttery avocado or a creamy, not-too-spicy guacamole.

I like how you can see the corn and tomatoes peeking out, like they might of been made right smack dab in the middle of your garden. Only they weren’t.

Stubborn tomatoes.

Tex-Mex Burgers

Yield: 4 servings

Tex-Mex Burgers

Black bean burgers with a spicy Tex-Mex twist!

1 can (14 ounce) red kidney or pinto beans or 1 pound ground beef
1 cup cooked brown rice or whole wheat couscous
1 large ripe tomato, diced
3/4 cup corn kernels
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder or a small chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
vegetable oil, for pan-frying
4 hamburger buns or tortillas
lettuce leaves, for serving
guacamole or avocado, for serving
chopped tomato and/or red onion, for serving

Instructions:

1. In a colander rinse and drain the beans. In a large mixing bowl smash the beans with a potato masher leaving them kind of chunky. Add rice, tomatoes, corn, salt, pepper, coriander, oregano and chile powder; combine with a fork. Refrigerate for at least a 1/2 hour.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat with a tablespoon or two of oil. Cook burgers 5 minutes on each side, flipping carefully. Serve on buns or tortillas with your choice of fixin’s.

Comments

1. mia xara says

So colorful and full of flavor,Reeni!I wonder whether I could convince my “carnivore” boys to try them..haha..XO

2. Simone says

O that looks fantastic. With the summer we’re having it is no wonder tomatoes are hanging on to their youth..:)

3. Kitchenflavours says

Looks delicious, Reeni! Fantastic having this with tortilla instead of the usual burger buns! On the tomatoes, I need to try growing some cherry tomatoes again soon. The late batch I planted, only gave me about two dozen sweet tomatoes before they decided to call it quits!! :)

4. Heavenly Housewife says

IN all honesty, I have never had a good veggie burger. Every one I’ve tried has been dry and kind of tasteless, so I’d love to try this, it sounds fabulous!
    *kisses* HH

5. Anaritam3 says

Wowi!!!This gigantic burger is looking so delicious that i cannot believe it…If the eyes could eat the burguer was full of bites…

Kisses
    Rita

6. Joanne says

I could kiss you for your summer of veggie burgers.  (Seriously…you should be wary of running into me in person.)  They all look so good and have given me unlimited ideas as to what I can have at my parents’ bbqs!  I do love that these burgers use summer produce…and since I don’t have a garden, I don’t have to worry about them coming from there!

7. Becki Jacobs says

Wow, this looks so stinkin good!  When I make bean burgers I think they taste best when they have a mexican twist so this picture really got me!  I will have to try your recipe for them…seriously this looks wonderful:-)..yum….