A perfectly light and refreshing salad with crunchy napa cabbage, edamame, avocado, cucumber, carrots, bell pepper, red onion and almonds in a tangy dressing.
It makes a great substitute for cole slaw.
The dressing is made of vegetable oil, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, cilantro and a touch of sugar plus red pepper flakes if you like for a touch of heat. It’s easy to make too by whizzing everything together in a blender or food processor.
The Napa cabbage stays pretty crunchy even after being in the fridge for a while. I like to dress it and refrigerate for an hour or so before serving to let the flavors in the dressing develop. Vinaigrette always seems to taste better after it sits awhile.
If you’re put off by the thought of edamame – soybeans – then I should tell you they’re surprisingly delicious – mild in flavor they pop a little between your teeth. The pop is addictive. Edamame = love.
The soft, buttery avocado is so wonderful with the crispy cabbage and other veggies. You definitely don’t want to skip it. You can use peanuts instead of almonds though.
The salad is perfect alongside grilled chicken, fish or shrimp. It makes a big bowl so you can tote it along to picnic, barbecues and potlucks.
Great for all your summer time dining needs.
|Thai Napa Salad|| |
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- a pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 large shredded carrot
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into long, thin strips
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 ounces edamame, cooked and cooled
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds or peanuts
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced, for garnish
- Add all the dressing ingredients but the salt and pepper to a blender or food processor and whiz together until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper and more of any other ingredient you think it needs like more garlic, lime, etc. . .
- To a large mixing bowl add all the salad ingredients except the avocado.
- Pour the dressing over it and toss well. Refrigerate for ½ to 1 hour before serving.
- Toss again before serving and garnish with avocado.
- Refrigerate leftovers 3 days.
Copyright ©2017 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.