Tuna noodle casserole with Swiss cheese, olives, dill and sweet pickles with a crunchy potato chip and almond topping. All the things I love in a tuna salad sandwich turned into a semi-gourmet casserole. I did it for Blue the dolphin.
Blue Mermaid by Miranda Koerner, my friend over at A Duck in Her Pond, is the middle school story of Meredith, a 7th grader who is captain of her synchronized swim team, The Seahorses. She is suddenly thrown into a sea of mysterious events. She goes to sleep in her bed but wakes up in her swimming pool where a talking dolphin has taken up residence. A very demanding dolphin who insists Meredith return to the ocean with him. As if that isn’t enough a there’s a hot new boy at school who wants more from Meredith than she’s willing to give… is she destined to be an 8th grade mermaid?
Even though this is a middle school book I thoroughly enjoyed it! In true Blonde Duck fashion this is full of fun, mystery and intrigue. Miranda has a way of weaving stories that make you want to keep reading. Page turners. I didn’t go into great detail about the story because I don’t want to give anything away. . .This is perfect for enjoying on the beach with your toes in the sand. Just don’t go in the water.
Did I mention the dolphin is quite hungry? I hope he likes tuna casserole!
- Cook the egg noodles to al dente according to package directions. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 x 10 or similar size casserole dish.
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a large, heavy-duty saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook 2 - 3 minutes stirring often. Slowly whisk in the milk and turn the heat up, bring to a simmer and cook 3 - 4 minutes stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to low, whisk in the dill, about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and 2 cups of the Swiss. Stir until the cheese is melted, remove from heat.
- Mix the drained egg noodles with the tuna, olives, red onion and pickles. Pour into the casserole and arrange in an even layer. Slowly pour the cheese sauce over top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top then the chips and almonds. Dot the top with butter.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes until lightly golden and the edges are bubbly. Let set 5 minutes before serving.
This is not a sponsored review. I paid for the book myself. All thoughts and opinions are my own.