Semifreddo is a creamy, luscious frozen dessert a lot like ice cream with less work. The process is quicker and doesn’t require an ice cream maker. You can make this luscious frozen dessert in mere minutes using only 5 ingredients including eggs, honey, heavy cream, white chocolate and salty pistachios.
Eggs and honey whisked together over a double boiler and infused with white chocolate is folded into whipped cream. This delectably sweet and sumptuous combination then takes a trip to the freezer for a few hours. It’s as simple as that!
Turned out on a plate for serving with a generous drizzle of honey and a smattering of pistachios it will appear elegant and fancy. Minus all the work elegant and fancy desserts usually require.
Once removed from the freezer don’t dawdle oohing and aahing over your masterpiece because this melts faster than traditional ice cream! Semifreddo translated from Italian means “half-frozen”. This doesn’t freeze up as hard as traditional ice cream.
But don’t worry even the puddly parts are super scrumptious! Pass the spoons around and don’t be shy about digging right in!
You’ll find the crunch of the pistachio nuts perfect against the cold, sweetened cloud-like texture of the semifreddo. So soft and creamy it will melt in your mouth and flood your taste buds with sweet and salty flavors.
That’s the best.
Semifreddo is a frozen dessert infused with white chocolate, honey and salty pistachios to delight your taste buds!
- Line a standard-sized loaf pan with saran wrap.
- Whisk the egg, egg yolks and honey in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water until the mixture is pale and thick 5-6 minutes. Stir in white chocolate and continue whisking until completely melted and fully incorporated. Remove from heat and set over a bowl or pan filled with ice.
- Meanwhile whip the heavy cream until thick so that when the beaters are lifted the egg white doesn't drip off.
- Gently fold the cooled egg mixture into the heavy cream. Add to the prepared loaf tin and cover carefully with saran wrap. Freeze 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve turn the semifreddo out onto a plate; drizzle with honey and sprinkle with pistachios. Slice and serve immediately. Alternately you can scoop a serving or two out at time and place the rest right back into the freezer. It thaws quickly.
Adapted from Nigella Lawson