Lightly sweet, soft scones speckled with zucchini shreds and tangy lime are a pure, delicious joy to eat. The addition of olive oil gives them a tender crumb and a light texture that melts in your mouth.
Since scones err on the dry and crumbly side both the zucchini and olive oil go far in adding moistness. The zucchini is hardly discernible in the finished product and blends well with the lime.
Just ask my zucchini-hating family who gobbled up them up even though I clearly marked the tops with raw zucchini shreds thinking they wouldn’t…eat them.
Then I could continue in oblivious bliss devouring one for each and every meal until they were demolished. Even if it took me days…because with zucchini, whole wheat flour and olive oil they’re as good as a meal, right?
Make these. They’re 3/4 good for you. And the other 1/4? You won’t even care.
Lightly sweet, soft scones speckled with zucchini shreds, tangy lime and olive oil with a sour cream glaze.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, lime zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add butter and olive oil, use a fork to combine well, mixture will be dry and crumbly.
- Add heavy cream, 1/4 cup of lime juice and zucchini combine well by hand with a spoon.
- Press dough together and form a ball, transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and shape into an 8-inch disk. Cut into 8 wedges and separate scones until they are about 1-inch apart.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Whisk confectioners’ sugar with sour cream and a tablespoon or two of lime juice until smooth. Drizzle over scones.
I’m entering this in the Creative Concoctions #5 – Cooking with Olive Oil Event hosted by Ivy of Kopiaste..to Greek Hospitality.