Apple slab pie made over into a giant pop-tart! Slab pie is a flat, free-form pie baked on a baking sheet.
This one is topped with icing and sprinkles to resemble a pop-tart.
The filling is made of diced apples, brown sugar, lemon juice and corn starch to help thicken the escaping apple juices.
The buttery crust is made with flour, butter, salt and ice water. For a super flaky crust I cut the butter into the flour twice, half the butter each time. The crust is split into two halves, briefly chilled and rolled into rectangles.
The crust is topped with the apple filling, topped with more crust and the edges are folded over and pressed together then pressed together again with a fork.
Baked until golden brown and hot and bubbly in the center – once it cools off a thick icing is slathered over it with a smattering of rainbow sprinkles.
A giant pop-tart is born.
Because what’s better than a box of pop-tarts?
A giant, homemade pop-tart that’s what.
- 2 + ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, diced
- ¼ - ½ cup ice water
- 5 -6 cups peeled, diced apples (about ½-inch)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash or two of ground nutmeg
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- rainbow sprinkles, for garnish
- In a large bowl whisk the flour and salt together.
- Add half the butter and cut in with a pastry blender or two forks used scissor fashion until small crumbs form.
- Add the rest of the butter and repeat until small, uniform crumbs form.
- Add the water, a tablespoon at a time, and toss with a fork to moisten the dough evenly.
- To test for the right texture, squeeze a chunk of it together, it should stick together easily. If it falls apart add more water.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
- Wrap each piece in plastic and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss the apples, lemon juice, corn starch, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch or two of salt together.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper making sure it goes up the sides and over the edges in case the pie leaks.
- Flour a large work surface and roll one of the halvesout into a 9 x 12-inch rectangle. Fold it in half then in half again and transfer to the baking sheet. Unfold.
- Roll the remaining crust out to a 9 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Top the bottom piece with the apples leaving a 1-inch border - spread them out evenly.
- Fold the remaining crust up in half then half again and top the pie with it - unfold.
- Fold the edges of the bottom crust over the top and press together.
- Go around the border with a fork pressing the crust together again. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the pie 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Cool on the baking sheet.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar with 1 tablespoon milk at a time to make a thick icing. Slather over the top and garnish with sprinkles.
- Cut into squares to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Copyright ©2016 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.