|BLT Cornbread Salad|| |
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Dijon honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use olive oil or canola)
- 5 cups cornbread, cubed
- 6 cups baby spinach, stems removed
- ½ pound bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 1 + ½ cups diced tomatoes
- scant ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- In the bowl of a food processor pulse the oil, mustard, and mayonnaise together until smooth.
- Add all the salad ingredients but the salt and pepper
toa large mixing bowl. Drizzle half the dressing over top and gently toss.
- Add more dressing if needed and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When life gives you leftover cornbread make Panzanella salad = a tossed bread salad with cubes of cornbread, bacon, spinach, tomatoes, red onion and avocado all dressed up in a creamy, 3-ingredient honey mustard dressing.
A delicious twist on boring side dish salads, this will perk up your barbecue, picnic, potluck or your everyday meal.
I’m certain my cheddar zucchini cornbread from the other day made it extra special! You can use any cornbread recipe you like and will need about 1/2 of an 8 or 9-inch pan.
I love the tang of the honey mustard with the soft, dense cubes of cheesy bread, the buttery bites of avocado and the salty, chewy bacon. Baby spinach leaves are the perfect backdrop, strong enough to hold up to all the flavors and stand up to the cornbread.
Surprisingly, the cornbread doesn’t get that soggy even after sitting overnight. The spinach will completely wilt so if you like crisper spinach best eat this up right away (it won’t be hard) or leave the dressing off completely and dress it as you eat it.
You can also toast the cubes of cornbread and turn them into crispy little croutons.
Can you tell? My recent obsessions are with bread salads, BLT’s, honey mustard and zucchini.
I. can’t. stop.