- 12 ounces broccoli slaw
- 2 of your favorite apples, peeled and shredded [I like Gala]
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup honey Dijon mustard (not dipping sauce)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- *4 - 5 slices crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
- In a large mixing bowl toss the slaw, apples, cheese and red onion together.
- Add the honey mustard, mayonnaise, a few dashes of salt and pepper and toss again. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate at least ½ hour or longer - until ready to serve.
- Just before serving mix in the bacon, taste and season again with salt and pepper if needed.
©Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved
A cool, crunchy broccoli slaw with a ton of flavor from juicy apples, sharp cheddar cheese, crispy bacon and red onion dressed in a tangy honey mustard.
So ridiculously easy to throw together and a great side for anything you can imagine from burgers to chicken.
If you’ve never seen broccoli slaw before in your market it’s usually hiding next to the bagged coleslaw and lettuces. Made of shredded broccoli stalks, carrots and sometimes red cabbage, you may use cole slaw instead.
For the dressing, I use a good quality honey Dijon mustard right from the jar with a little bit of mayonnaise. When you first mix it together there might not seem to be enough dressing but after it sits for an hour in the refrigerator it loosens up.
Some of the juice from the apples mingle with it and the broccoli releases some water. The vegetables soften a little too and the flavors meld. If you prefer it crunchy you can eat it right away.
To make it vegetarian skip the bacon and add a big handful or two of nuts like sliced almonds. You can add them anyways, if you like, along with a handful of cranberries or raisins.