Cauliflower wraps itself around bacon, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and scallions for these addictive, pan-fried golden little patties of deliciousness.
Being made mostly of cauliflower they are chock full of cauliflower flavor over anything else.
They are similar to a potato pancake with creamy, cheesy insides and crispy outsides with chewy bits of salty bacon throughout mingled with the spicy zing of jalapeno peppers.
There are few things I love more than a vegetable fritter. Strange but true.
Whether eaten piping hot from the pan, lukewarm or stone cold straight from the fridge they never fail to please my inner vegetable lover.
With so much flavor packed into one little bite, I can’t resist their charms.
I find myself reaching for just one more. . .
again and again, until I’m standing in front of the refrigerator at midnight nibbling on the coveted little fritters like a hungry mouse.
|Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Fritters|| |
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 5 slices crispy cooked and crumbled bacon
- 3 scallions sliced thin and diced
- 1 + ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced, seeds removed, optional
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- vegetable oil, for pan-frying
- sour cream and chopped chives or scallions, for garnish
- Steam the cauliflower until fork tender. Rinse with cold water or place them in a large bowl of ice water.
- Drain well then lightly mash with a potato masher or fork. Add the mashed cauliflower to a wire strainer or colander placed over a bowl to drain excess water 10 - 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the eggs, bacon, scallions, jalapeno, 2 tablespoons of the flour and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Add the drained cauliflower into a large bowl and whisk in the egg mixture, stir in the cheese and the remaining cup of flour, baking powder and season again lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a large nonstick skillet generously with oil and heat over medium heat. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of batter into the skillet, flatten slightly and cook until golden brown, flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add oil as needed to the pan and repeat until all the fritters are cooked. Serve with sour cream and fresh chopped chives or scallions for garnish.
Copyright © Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved