Baked layers of zucchini rounds smothered in eggs, half & half and sour cream with lots of gouda cheese. A simple little side dish I had to share being that zucchini is in peak season now. As in overflowing from gardens and market bins everywhere. It’s not a bad thing if you like zucchini. . .
If you hate it and you know me then I’m going to do everything in my power to get you to like it. That’s just how I roll. Maybe because I once hated its guts too with all my heart. It took a deep-fried zucchini fritter to change my mind.
I might trick you into eating zucchini-infused cake with lots of fluffy creamy cheese frosting. . . well maybe trick is the wrong word. Entice is more fitting. Or I might smother it with your favorite cheese to tempt you into just taking a taste. One little bite. I just know that if I can get you to try it, my way, then I can hook you.
You know what? It works
almost every time! Including this time. The zucchini hater said “You made zucchini taste good!”
Baked layers of zucchini rounds smothered in eggs, half & half and sour cream with lots of Gouda cheese
- Put the zucchini in a large colander set over a bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon coarse salt or 1/2 teaspoon fine salt to remove some of the water so your casserole won't be soggy. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or 2 if you have time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and butter an 8 x 10 casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, half & half and sour cream together. Season with a few pinches each of salt and pepper and a teaspoon or two of fresh herbs if you like.
- Layer half the zucchini in the pan then pour half the egg mixture over it. Sprinkle with half the Gouda. Repeat.
- Bake about 25 - 30 minutes until bubbly around the edges and lightly golden on top.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.