This is similar but better, first because it’s fresh and second because you make it yourself practically from scratch aside from buying the bread.
It starts with my recipe for the Best Garlic Bread and is topped with a trio of cheeses – mozzarella, Parmesan and white cheddar.
Why white cheddar on Italian-inspired garlic bread? Yes, I’m a mind reader. For a punch of flavor – mozzarella is so mild the white cheddar gives it a bit of a bite while still keeping those melted mozzarella strings intact.
A loaf of Italian bread is sliced like an accordion or a hasselback potato so that the bottom is still attached. A mix of melted butter, olive oil, a ton of garlic and fresh chopped parsley is brushed between the slices, the entire thing is wrapped in foil and baked.
If you happen to have leftovers they’re every bit as delicious – preheat them in a 350 degree oven for 5 – 10 minutes.
This makes the best appetizer and the most perfect side to round out any pasta or Italian meal and is also good with soups and stews, roasted chicken, steak or meatloaf, or all on its own, you know, just because, my favorite reason of all.
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 (15- by 3½-inch) loaf Italian bread
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir together the butter, oil, garlic and parsley in a small bowl.
- Using a serrated knife cut the bread into 1-inch-thick slices without cutting all the way through to the bottom, leave the slices attached to each other.
- Gently pull apart the slices and use a pastry brush to butter them with the garlic mixture.
- Wrap the loaf in foil and bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, unwrap and let cool until you can handle it without being burned.
- Heat the broiler with the oven rack in the center.
- Cut the slices all the way through and lay them out on baking sheets. Mix the parmesan, cheddar and mozzarella together.
- Top each slice with cheese and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning.
- Broil them with the oven door ajar until bubbly with some golden spots about 3 minutes - check them often. Serve warm.
- Reheat leftovers in the oven about 5 minutes on 350 degrees F.
©Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved