This recipe gets its inspiration from Mexican street corn. Piping hot corn on the cob is smeared with mayonnaise and dredged with Queso or Cotija cheese, fresh cilantro, chile powder, lime and plenty of salt and pepper.
It sounds unusual if you’ve never had it before, but it’s not.
The mayonnaise melts right into the corn to take on a whole new flavor and acts as the ‘glue’ to hold everything together.
It’s incredibly tasty, as well as addicting and very messy which somehow makes it all the more enjoyable to eat.
You can grill the corn which is probably a more traditional way of cooking it but I’m a big believer in roasting. All those sweet juices get trapped inside the kernels until they nearly burst with joy.
You can also use ‘loose’ corn and mix the ingredients right into it: here’s the recipe for Mexican Crazy Corn Salad.
Whatever way you decide to make it, just please do!
The onslaught of flavors bursting in your mouth will make you happy you did!
Sweet yet savory, salty, spicy and succulent all at the same time with a bite of citrus, it will bring a burst of zesty delicious-flavored sunshine into your life!
|The Best Mexican Street Corn|| |
- 4 large ears corn
- sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 + ½ cups Queso Fresco, crumbled or Cotija or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 teaspoons chile powder
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced, optional
- 1 lime, cut into four wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush corn lightly with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 20-25 minutes. Alternately you can grill or boil it.
- Working with one ear of corn at time brush with mayonnaise, sprinkle with cheese, chile powder and cilantro, if using, pressing it onto the corn to help it stick.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges.