Blueberry cream cake has a cakey “crust” and a filling that is like cheesecake only much lighter. The thing that sets it apart is the entire quart of blueberries that goes into making it.
A cake to steal your blueberry-loving heart.
- 1 + ½ cups (6⅜ ounces)all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (3½ ounces) sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 + ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart (2 pints) fresh blueberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (3½ ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- fresh whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Butter a 10-inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the crust and beat until combined. It will be very thick like a dough; knead it together at the end. With wet fingers press it into an even layer over the bottom of the pan. Top with ½ the blueberries, spreading them out evenly.
- Use the same bowl to beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, sugar, zest, and vanilla. Pour over the berries and spread evenly; scatter the remaining berries evenly over top.
- Bake 1 hour until middle is set and edges are brown. Remove pan to wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled with whip cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
©Copyright Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved
Right now my blueberry-loving heart is sad.
Want to know why?
I planted a blueberry bush a few summers ago that has failed me. In the worst way. During the peak of blueberry season there isn’t so much as one teeny tiny blueberry to pluck from its branches.
Want to know why?
It needs a mate! (What?)
Is it part human or something? Gah.
Anywhoo. . . This cake is more cheesecake than layer cake. The bottom layer is a cross between a dense cake and a pie crust. It’s made from a buttery dough being pressed into the bottom of a springform pan then covered with blueberries and topped with the creamy filling. Then more blueberries. Love.
The lemon and vanilla infused filling has cream cheese, sour cream, just one egg, and sugar. I love it because it’s not overly sweet or heavy like most traditional cheesecakes.
The luscious blueberries take over every bite and like a lot of desserts, this is even better the day after making it.
So, I went out and found my blueberry bush a mate. I’m not a matchmaker you know. I hope they
like each other fall in love. My fingers, toes and knees are all crossed.
I’m hoping for bouncing baby blueberries next summer.
Lots of them.