Rice and broccoli florets swimming in a cheesy sauce and baked to a bubbly, golden brown.
This is my knock-off of broccoli-au-gratin-rice-in-a-box. You know, the San Francisco treat. The one I happily grew up on.
Years ago I said my goodbyes to cut down on overly processed foods.
Purely by mistake, a box ended up in my groceries. . .
“Sorry” to the lady ahead of me in line. I owe you one.
True confession time. I was a little giddy when I found it.
It was like running into a best friend from high school you haven’t seen in years.
Or finding money you forget all about in the cookie jar when your wallet is empty.
Not one to fight fate, I cooked and ate it, only to be disappointed. It was nothing like my memory. But all was not lost because it led me here.
A broccoli rice au gratin that will not disappoint! Super creamy and cheesy. The greatest comfort food.
Made fresh with good-for-you broccoli, brown rice, real cheese and milk.
You can’t box this.
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt and a few cracks fresh black pepper
- 2 + ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 cups cooked rice ( I used brown)
- 2 -3 cups cooked broccoli florets
- Grease a 9x13-inch casserole pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat; add garlic and saute until fragrant. Whisk in flour and cook 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk, mustard and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer 4 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese and parmesan; stir until mostly melted; remove from heat.
- Stir in rice and broccoli florets, pour into
casserolepan, sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese over top.
- Bake 30 minutes until bubbly and lightly golden on top. Allow
to set5 minutes before serving.