All the reasons we love chicken pot pie for are found in this very same comforting soup!
The thick, creamy broth is overflowing with bites of tender chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, and peas. The “pie” part of the equation comes in with Parmesan pepper pie crust triangles.
The moment I laid eyes on this deconstructed chicken pot pie recipe in Food Network magazine I wanted to make it. Like right that very moment even though it was almost midnight. Blame it on the pie crust.
This was a dream-come-true excuse to eat one of my favorite things in the world . . . flaky, buttery, tender pie crust . . . without so much as batting an eye.
It’s not every day you can bake up a pie crust minus the filling and then eat it with reckless abandon like it’s a completely normal occurrence.
The soup was just as good as it promised! Maybe even better.
The highlight is introducing the salty, peppery triangles to the super creamy soup broth. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I also crushed up
one or a few of those triangles to mix right into the soup.
Two ways to soup heaven.
|Chicken Pot Pie Soup|| |
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed between fingertips
- 3 medium carrots, cut into coins
- 3 medium-ish Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream (light is ok)
- 1 pie crust (I like this one)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 - 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- fresh ground black pepper
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large soup or stock pot over medium heat. Add chicken, brown on all sides and cook through. Remove to a platter and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot along with the onion, celery, thyme and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add carrots, potatoes, the cooked chicken and the flour. Toss well and cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the chicken broth, frozen peas and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Stir in heavy cream, bring back up to a simmer and cook 5-10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll the pie crust out to an 8 or 9-inch round and place on a large, parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 8 triangles.
- Serve the soup with extra Parmesan for sprinkling over top and warm pie crust triangles.
©Copyright Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved