Cinnamon buns in the form of a cookie complete with the telltale swirly middles and powdered sugar icing.
So cute and charming. Like mini cinnamon rolls. Minus all the work.
These are what you call “refrigerator” cookies. Just like cinnamon buns the vanilla cookie dough is rolled out into a rectangle and brushed with egg white then sprinkled all over with cinnamon sugar.
The dough is rolled up, chilled well then sliced into cookies, baked and iced with a sweet and sticky glaze.
Kind of crispy around the edges with soft middles, they taste exactly like cinnamon buns.
My family was crazy for them. As was I. They disappeared faster than I would have liked.
Best make a double batch!
This recipe is currently being tested! Some readers have great results while others say it failed for them!
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 + ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 + ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 + ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl beat together the sugar, butter, salt and vanilla on medium speed about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the flour and stir until the dough comes together. Flatten into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour or until well chilled.
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment or waxed paper and roll the dough into a 9x12-inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg white and water together until foamy. In a separate small bowl whisk the sugar and cinnamon together. Brush the egg white all over the dough and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over top.
- Starting with a long edge roll the dough carefully into a log sealing the edge with the egg white. Wrap in plastic wrap or parchment and freeze until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or line 2 cookies sheets with parchment or silpats. Use a sharp knife to gently cut the log into ½-inch slices. Transfer them to the baking sheets and bake 12 to 15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a medium-sized bowl and whisk in the cream and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cookies or use a piping bag or baggie with the corner cut off to decorate.