Moist, fudgy brownies swirled with a rich, tangy layer of sweetened cream cheese. Like getting two irresistible desserts for the price of one.
I made the brownies skinny so the cheesecake wouldn’t be overwhelmed by all the chocolate.
The brownies are double chocolaty because they’re made with two kinds – melted chocolate chips and cocoa powder along with the usual classic ingredients – eggs, sugar, vanilla and a small amount of flour.
The cream cheese swirl also has an egg in it along with more sugar and a dash of vanilla. It’s dolloped on top of the brownie batter and topped with even more batter then swirled together and baked.
I always over-swirl. I swirl and swirl my little heart out with no regard for the outcome. I almost messed them up. Restraint makes better swirls.
So. . . cheesecake met a brownie, they fell in love and then came little cheesecake brownies.
Or maybe it’s me that fell in love.
Then came little cheesecake brownies.
|Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies|| |
- ½ cup all-purpose flour or ⅓ cup cornstarch to make gluten-free
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, sliced
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- a dash of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease well with butter.
- In a small bowl whisk the flour, cocoa, and salt together.
- Add the butter and chocolate chips to a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave 30-seconds to start. Stir and microwave in 15 second increments until completely melted and smooth. Let it cool down a bit.
- On low speed beat the sugar and vanilla into the chocolate until well combined.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Add all of the flour mixture and beat on medium speed 2 minutes until well combined.
- Set aside ½ cup of the batter. Scrape the rest of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out evenly from edge to edge.
- In a separate bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar together on medium speed 2 minutes. Beat in the egg, vanilla and salt until well combined.
- Drop by spoonfuls over the top of the brownie batter and use the back of the spoon to spread it out a little.
- Drop the brownie batter you set aside over the top of the cream cheese. Run a butter knife through them to make swirls.
- Bake 35 minutes or until set in the center and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and then chill for about an hour or so.
- Lift out of the pan using the parchment to a cutting board and cut into bars - wipe the knife off after each cut for for clean slices.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
©Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved
Originally published in Sep. 2015.