I’m already snatching up all the corn and zucchini I can and summer has barely started! I can’t help myself – I love the both of them separately and maybe even more when they’re together.
This promises to be one of your favorite summer side dishes with creamy corn off the cob and diced zucchini floating around in a silky cream cheese sauce topped with bacon and scallions. Super delicious and oh-so-decadent.
There’s pops of red from roasted red peppers along with onion and a touch of garlic for flavor. They’re cooked in butter to start and then corn, zucchini and heavy cream are added with a teaspoon of sugar.
Slowly simmered for 15 minutes the cream cheese is stirred in at the end and helps thicken it up while simultaneously making it richer and adding tanginess to brighten it up.
You cannot go wrong with this dish. Everyone will lap it up – even the zucchini haters in your life. <–I love that.
|Creamed Corn & Zucchini w/ Bacon & Cream Cheese|| |
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ⅓ cup diced roasted red peppers (jarred)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 4 cups fresh corn cut off the cob
- 3 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 slices cooked crumbled bacon, for garnish
- 2 snipped scallions, for garnish
- In a large frying pan heat the butter over medium heat and cook the onion, roasted red peppers and garlic with a couple dashes each of salt and pepper about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix in the corn, zucchini, heavy cream, water and sugar with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Bring to a slow simmer and cook about 15 minutes stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the cream cheese, break it apart and stir it in until completely melted and incorporated.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with bacon and scallions for serving.