Creamy BLT soup with bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. A quick and easy 30-minute meal your entire family will love.
When I see all the fresh seasonal tomatoes the world has to offer right now I think of two things: BLT and caprese salad. BLT is my favorite of the two but don’t tell my Italian family that.
The soup starts by cooking bacon in a Dutch oven or soup pot, removing it to drain and cooking onions in a bit of the bacon grease mixed with olive oil. It picks up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan for great flavor.
Flour is cooked into the onions to help thicken the soup then chicken broth is stirred in along with fresh diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce. I understand it’s weird to cook lettuce but it’s surprisingly delicious. I wouldn’t steer you wrong.
The soup is a quick cooking one, after just ten minutes heavy cream and most of the crumbled bacon is stirred in to cook for another five minutes or so. Then it’s time to ring the dinner bell because soup’s on.
I like to garnish it with more tomatoes and lettuce for a pop of crunch and freshness. Toast up a few slice of Italian or French bread and cube it like crouton for garnish too along with the remaining bacon.
I almost forgot one of the best parts – sour cream and mayo mixed together and dolloped or drizzled over the soup to bring in the mayo flavor that is an absolute must for a BLT.
Say hello to dinner.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14.5 ounce) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 + ½ cups chopped fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, divided
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce, divided
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 slices toasted Italian bread, cut into cubes
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Drain off the grease leaving behind 1 tablespoon. Add the olive oil to the pan and the onions, cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir, cook 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth.
- Add 3 cups of the tomatoes, 3 cups lettuce, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Turn the heat up and bring to a simmer, maintain a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Crumble or chop the bacon.
- Add ¾ of the bacon to the soup and stir in the heavy cream. Bring back to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- In a small bowl stir the sour cream and mayonnaise together.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a spoonful of fresh tomatoes, a handful of lettuce, a spoon of the sour cream/mayo mixture, the croutons and the remaining bacon.
©Copyright 2016 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved
Makes 5 servings.
16 SMARTPOINTS | 13 POINTSPLUS