Crockpot chicken chili is the perfect meal a long, hot summer day or a balmy winter one!
It’s a great feeling having everything tucked away into the crock pot early so it can work its magic while you go about your day. Dinner is taken care of, no worries, without slaving over a hot stove.
This version uses boneless chicken breasts, onion, red pepper, garlic, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles and chicken broth with chili powder, cumin, oregano and smoked paprika for seasonings.
It isn’t one of those super thick versions but it isn’t like soup either, it’s somewhere in between the two. If you like it thick leave out the broth and double the tomatoes.
I love the slow cooker for cooking chicken! It comes out so tender that it falls apart at the touch and melts in your mouth.
For this you add whole chicken breasts right to the pot and then right before serving pull them out, shred or cut into bite-sized pieces and stir it back in.
My Dad is the opposite.
Plop down a bowl of anything containing beans in front of him and his face lights up. He must have a cowboy heart because they eat them day and night until the cows come home.
Just the same way we ate this chili.
|Crock-Pot Shredded Chicken Chili|| |
- 1 can (14 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles with the juices
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt + ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican), crushed between fingertips
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 + ¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- shredded sharp cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- diced avocado/guacamole
- tortilla chips
- In a 4 quart or larger crockpot mix together the broth, tomatoes and all the spices.
- Mix in the beans, corn, onion, pepper and garlic. Nestle in the chicken breasts.
- Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 - 8.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board and shred or chop into bite-sized pieces. Add back to the pot.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with your choice of fixing's.