I made this soup for you! It’s going to get chilly soon and I want you to be prepared.
You’ll be wanting something warm, hearty and comforting to come home to and what better fits the bill than a mostly hands-off, slow cooker soup?
I hope you said “nothing”.
This is packed with the most tender chicken you can imagine after slow cooking for hours in a broth seasoned with a little tomato paste.
It also has cannellini beans, fresh spinach, carrots, roasted red peppers, onions, garlic, Italian seasonings and a squeeze of lemon to brighten everything up.
I add the beans and spinach at the end because canned beans are already cooked and I don’t want them to get too mushy. The same with the spinach, I don’t want it to cook so far down that it doesn’t have any texture left to it.
This is chock full of flavors that are easy to love and will have you coming back for seconds!
Excuse me now while I go hug my crockpot.
Best invention ever.
|Crock-Pot Italian Chicken Soup|| |
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup bottled or filtered water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed between fingertips
- salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (jarred) roasted red pepper, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice (1 - 2 teaspoons)
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- crackers or crusty bread, for serving
- In a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker whisk the chicken broth, water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper together.
- Add the onion, garlic, pepper, carrots and chicken.
- Cook on high 3 - 4 hours or low 5 - 6.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Mix the beans and spinach into the pot and put the lid on it.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and stir them back into the pot. Taste the broth and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Cook for another 20 minutes or so just to heat the beans and allow the spinach to wilt.
- Stir the lemon juice into the pot and serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.