Easily make warm buttery biscuits at home without a lot of fuss! Instead of rolling out the dough and cutting out the biscuits you can press them into a pan, score them for easier cutting later and bake them off. No floury mess required.
These are Southern-style baking powder biscuits that I added my own little twist to with black pepper in the dough and on top along with a sprinkle of salt for added flavor.
The ingredient list is a short one. Flour, baking powder, salt and pepper plus a little sugar is whisked together then butter is cut in until the mixture resembles little peas.
Milk is added to finish, the dough is pressed out in a buttered baking dish and melted butter is brushed over top with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Lightly score the top with a paring knife and cook until golden brown around the edges and set in the center.
I love the peppery bite of the black pepper and the crusty edges! Perfect with soup, chili or your favorite comfort meal. Super yummy for breakfast too.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea or kosher salt, plus more for the top
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, plus more for the top
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into little cubes
- ¾ cup milk, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, for the top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an 8x8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper together.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly and looks like little peas.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, stir with a spoon then knead lightly. Add a little more milk if needed.
- Dump it into the prepared pan and lightly press it out as evenly as you can from edge to edge.
- Brush generously with melted butter and sprinkle salt and pepper over the top.
- Score the top with a paring knife into 9 biscuits.
- Bake until golden brown around the edges and set in the center 24 - 28 minutes.
Copyright ©2016 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.