Homemade peppermint bark with layers of semi-sweet and white chocolate topped with a ton of chopped peppermint candy.
Scattered over the top are peppermint and mint m & m’s, peppermint patties, Andes peppermint crunch thins, Andes mint thins and Junior Mints peppermint crunch.
That’s a lot of peppermint. Epic.
Almost every type of peppermint candy I could find in the candy aisle is on here! Except for actual candy canes or any other type of crunchy candy.
In place of candy canes I used finely chopped peppermint Andes mints. With their red and white colors, they give it the same pretty appearance that candy canes do without the crunch.
Before you go thinking I have something against candy canes or crunchy candy. . . I don’t. I just wasn’t feeling it this year and wanted something different.
You can include any type of peppermint candy you want in your version. It’s completely up to you!
You can include crushed up candy canes or lots of soft peppermint candies or a combination of both. That is the beauty of it. Versatility.
Every Christmas should have some.
- 8 ounces good-quality semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons melted vegetable shortening, divided
- 2 - 3 ounces Andes peppermint crunch thins or baking chips , finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cups peppermint and/or mint candies like M & M's (leave whole), peppermint patties (cut like a pie), Andes peppermint & mint thins (chopped), Junior Mints peppermint crunch (leave whole)
- Turn an 11 x 17-inch baking sheet upside down and place a sheet of parchment paper on top. Chop up all the peppermint candy and set it near the baking sheet.
- Melt all the semi-sweet chocolate but ⅓
ofa cup. Use a double broiler or your microwave set on 50% power. Using a microwave bowl set it for 1 minute at a time and stir in between. Once it is smooth and completely melted add the ⅓ cup chocolate you set aside and stir until completely melted and smooth - it may take a minute or two. If you find the chocolate won't melt all the way microwave for 10 more seconds and continue stirring until it is completely melted. Stir in 1 teaspoon of shortening.
- Pour onto the middle of the parchment and use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate evenly over the parchment leaving a 1 - 2-inch border all around. Let set 5 - 10 minutes then refrigerate 5 - 10 minutes.
- Melt all the white chocolate using the same method (don't leave any out). Once it is
smooth and completely melted mixin the shortening. Pour over the chocolate and spread to cover from edge to edge, working quickly. Some of the semi-sweet chocolate might melt and mix in - that's ok.
- Sprinkle the chopped peppermint Andes all over the top. Sprinkle with the rest of the candy, working quickly. Once it is completely covered in candy gently press it into the chocolate using your hands. Let it
set10 minutes then refrigerate 10 minutes. Place it in a cool, dry place for 1 hour or overnight to set completely.
- Break it up into irregular sized pieces using your hands or with the help of a knife. Store tightly covered with parchment paper in between the pieces in a cool, dry place up to 2 weeks.