Soul-warming chili with spicy ground sausage, creamy cannellini beans, tomatoes and corn topped with sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream plus tortilla chips for scooping.
Chili is one of our go-to meals so we are always looking for new ways to keep it interesting. My Mom gets all the credit for this one. It was her idea to use ground sausage instead of our usual, boring ground beef.
It breathed much-needed new life into our everyday chili giving it a spicy kick of flavor that makes it hard to go back to our old norm. Spicy sausage it is from now until forever.
The best part of this whole equation? You can have it on the table in less than an hour! I love that.
Plus it will make your house smell unbelievably good. Like a cross between Italian food and Mexican food.
You cannot go wrong.
- olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (hot or sweet)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between fingertips
- 1 can (14
ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14
ounce) can cannellini beans with juices
- ¾ cup corn
- shredded sharp cheddar
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan heat enough oil to cover to lightly cover the bottom of the pan and brown the sausage over medium heat breaking it apart as it cooks. Remove to a platter and drain off the grease.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan over medium-low heat and cook the onion, pepper
andgarlic until tender, seasoning well with salt and pepper. Stir in the spices and cook 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans
andcorn plus the cooked sausage. Season well with salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes stirring often and seasoning to taste as needed.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like cheese and sour cream.