A fun play on one of the winter season’s most favorite treat!
Chocolate cupcakes filled with marshmallow fluff and topped with a rich whipped cream frosting.
Hot cocoa brought to life in a cupcake.
The cupcakes are dreamy and decadent with a super chocolaty, moist devil’s food cake and surprise centers. Sticky, spreadable marshmallow fluff. In a word – divine.
The final addition is freshly whipped and sweetened heavy cream. Soft and fluffy.
A crucial part of any cup of hot cocoa.
Plunk a mug of cocoa and a hot cocoa cupcake down in front of me.
Guess which one I’ll reach for first?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- about 1 + ½ cups marshmallow fluff
1 pintheavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners.
- Whisk the
flour withthe cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat the butter 2 minutes until smooth and creamy. On medium speed gradually add the sugar, beating until light and smooth 5 minutes. On
low speedbeat in the eggs and yolk one at a time. Beat in the vanilla.
- On low speed add the flour in 4 additions beating well after each one. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the hot water at a time, mixing briefly after each addition until
a smooth batter forms.
- Fill each cupcake liner with a scant ¼ cup of batter. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes clean from center. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes then remove and cool completely on wire racks.
- To fill the cupcakes use a cupcake corer or cut a cone out of the top of each one with a paring knife or use a small biscuit cutter - press down and twist lifting the disc of cake out. Add a spoonful of marshmallow fluff and replace with the cake cone(cut the pointy end off so it lays flat) or disc.
- To make the frosting: chill a large bowl and the beaters from your electric mixer ½ hour. Add the heavy cream and confectioners' sugar. Beat starting on low speed and gradually increasing the speed as the cream thickens. Beat until the cream sticks to the beaters when lifted.
- Dollop big spoonfuls of cream on each cupcake and garnish with chocolate shavings. Store cupcakes in refrigerator.
©Copyright Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved