Homemade buttermilk ranch dressing is a glorious thing in all of its rich and fatty goodness!
I love it on everything!
Made from a combo of mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, and herbs, it’s ridiculously easy to make and doesn’t compare to the bottled kind.
Making it at home means you don’t have unnecessary additives and preservatives (scary things you can’t pronounce), plus it’s cheaper and can be fine-tuned to suit your individual taste.
Thick or thin? Extra tart or super creamy?
It’s entirely up to you!
This can be used as a base recipe to add a variety of flavors to by using hot sauce, lemon, Parmesan cheese, different herbs and even blue cheese to make blue cheese dressing.
The leftover buttermilk makes an amazing marinade for chicken; fork tender it will melt in your mouth!
Poke the chicken all over with a fork and marinade overnight or for a few hours before cooking, the longer the better.
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup buttermilk, plus more if needed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 2-3 teaspoons fresh
- sea or kosher salt and fresh pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the mayo and sour cream, slowly whisk in buttermilk until you reach a consistency you like then mix in garlic, vinegar, parsley, chives, and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- From here you can tweak it to your own individual taste by adding more sour cream, mayo, vinegar or herbs.