Cozy and rustic, this Italian-inspired soup is filled with chickpeas and spinach in a tomato-laced broth with bacon, onion, garlic and roasted red peppers.
It all sounds kind of plain and boring but I promise you it is a soup to easily fall in love with.
Diced tomatoes add a ton of rich flavor to chicken broth along with the diced up bacon and a healthy dose of Italian seasoning plus my favorite trio of late – onion, garlic and roasted red peppers.
A touch of red pepper flakes for a little pop of heat is entirely optional.
You may be tempted to add pasta or rice and you certainly can to make it a little heartier but it doesn’t need it.
It’s perfect served all on its own but you can’t go wrong with a side of mozzarella garlic bread dunkers for dipping and dunking in the savory broth.
The best way to round out any meal.
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small diced onion
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (jarred) roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- red pepper flakes, a couple pinches or to taste, optional
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Mozzarella Garlic Bread Dunkers, for serving
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove to a paper
- Drain off the bacon grease.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, red pepper, Italian seasoning, a couple dashes each salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes, if using.
- Cook, stirring often until softened about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas and cooked bacon.
- Stir in the broth with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Turn the heat up and bring to a simmer for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring often. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in the spinach and cook about 5 more
minuteor until wilted.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan and Mozzarella Garlic Bread Dunkers.