Utterly decadent shrimp baked in olive oil with garlic and oregano smothered in Italian-seasoned bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
When I say baked in olive oil I mean swimming in olive oil – like a bath. There’s also quite a generous amount of minced garlic, roasted in a whole cup of olive oil to which dried oregano and shrimp are added.
If you like hot & spicy things you can add crushed red pepper flakes, a lot or a little, it’s entirely up to you.
Breadcrumbs and Parmesan are sprinkled on top along with more richness in the form of butter – little dabs to help the top turn golden and crunchy.
The whole thing is roasted again for about fifteen minutes and topped with chopped fresh parsley for a pop of freshness.
You can scoop up the shrimp with crusty bread or serve it with pasta or rice. Because it’s so rich I think it makes a better appetizer than meal.
The shrimp are so tender and soft on the inside with a touch of crunchiness from the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
They have tremendous flavor and nothing’s better than dunking a thick piece of crusty bread into the fragrant oil and scooping up a few shrimp.
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup minced garlic
- sea or kosher salt
- 1 + ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned with tails on or off
- ½ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into little pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- crusty bread, cooked pasta or rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour the oil into an 8x8-inch baking or casserole pan. Stir in the garlic and a couple dashes of salt.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and just starting to turn a little golden around the edges but not browned or burnt.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the oregano and (optional) red pepper flakes. Place the shrimp in the oil so it is evenly spread out.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and Parmesan over the top. Dot all over with the butter.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until the shrimp are curled and the breadcrumbs are light golden brown.
- Sprinkle the top with parsley and serve with crusty bread, cooked pasta or rice.
©Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved