Ground turkey meatloaf bursting with all your favorite Italian flavors including mozzarella, Parmesan, tomato sauce and Italian seasonings. It’s also speckled with roasted red peppers, onions and garlic.
Meatloaf is one of the easiest meals in the world to throw together. I always use a fork to mix it rather than a spoon to keep it light and fluffy. And I always cook it on a baking sheet or pan, never in a loaf pan.
I’m a big fan of those crispy, caramelized sides you get on a baking sheet. The end pieces are my absolute favorites.
Expect to see a lot more ground turkey recipes around here after my recent revelation. . .. in case you haven’t heard I love ground turkey after years and year of avoiding it. Yay for me! And us.
Are you a turkey lover?
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 + ½ pounds ground turkey (7% fat)
- ⅓ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 (jarred) fire roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 thick slices mozzarella cheese, for the top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease a baking sheet or pan. Alternately you can line it with aluminum foil or parchment first for easy clean up.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, ⅓ cup tomato sauce, and Worcestershire.
- Add the ground meat, onion, roasted red pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, Parmesan and shredded mozzarella.
- Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Dump the meat out onto the prepared pan and with your hand firmly pat it into a loaf.
- Spread the remaining ⅓ cup of sauce over the meatloaf and top with the sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until internal temperature on a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- Let set five minutes before serving.