There’s something about the combination of spicy-hot jalapeño peppers, cheddar cheese and cream cheese that I can’t get enough of!
I don’t even care if jalapeño poppers are old news because according to me, they’re still the rage.
Of course, I had to make a puff pastry version!
“You love that stuff don’t you?” Mom asked when I tucked away yet another pack into the freezer. If I don’t have at least one handy then I get a little freaky.
The rolls have cream cheese, sharp cheddar and two kinds of jalapeños in them, fresh and pickled for a little briny bite.
I also threw in some corn and a couple dashes of Cholula hot sauce because the jalapeños don’t make them hot enough. I needed spicing up.
All that is combined together, spread over a sheet of puff pastry and rolled up like a cinnamon roll. After a 20-minute trip to the fridge, you cut it into rolls and bake.
You can hold off on the baking for as long as a day or two if you want to make them ahead of time for a special occasion. They freeze well too.
They make the best appetizers, movie-watching or game day treats.
|Easy Jalapeño Cream Cheese Roll-ups|| |
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced fresh jalapeños, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced pickled jalapeños (look for them in the Taco section)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup corn
- a couple dashes of hot sauce (I like Cholula)
- 1 egg
- 1 sheet (9x9) puff pastry, thawed
- 1 green onion, chopped, for garnish
- sour cream, for serving, optional
- In a small skillet or frying pan heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion, fresh jalapenos, and garlic plus a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl melt the cream cheese for 20 seconds, stir and microwave again 10 more seconds, you should be able to stir it with a spoon. If not melt it in 10-second increments until you can.
- Add the cooked onion mixture, the pickled jalapenos, cheddar, corn and hot sauce. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon water.
- On a floured work surface lay the puff pastry down and roll into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush all over with the egg.
- Spoon the filling onto it and spread it out evenly leaving a 1-inch border on one of the long edges. Roll it up towards the border. Brush the edge with the egg wash and press to seal.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or grease lightly.
- Cut the roll into ½-inch wide slices and place on the baking sheet 1-inch apart. Bake 18 - 20 minutes until golden brown on the bottom and edges.
- Serve hot or warm garnished with green onion and sour cream for dipping if desired.
Originally published in May 2014.