On the menu next for the Blogger Burger Club is Katie Lee’s Award-Winning Logan County Burger which can be thought of as a glorified grilled cheese or a traditional patty melt gone askew. For the better.
It’s a thin burger patty sandwiched between slices of bread melted with American cheese and onions. Katie Lee says the cheese is optional but…I think not! The cheese is a big part of its attraction and an absolute must.
This burger has been on my radar since last year when Katie Lee won the Burger Bash in NYC at the Food and Wine Festival. There was controversy after her win over whether the burger was truly a burger or a just another version of the patty melt sandwich. I think the whole thing is silly. To me it’s a burger no matter what kind of bread or bun it’s on. I think she was being picked on for being female, the only one in the contest. The connection isn’t hard to make. She whipped some very popular NYC male chefs butts. Fair and square.
I love grilled cheese. I love burgers. I have no choice but to be head over heels in love with grilled cheese burgers.
These are the epitome of comfort food: a rich, thin, juicy burger patty trapped between buttery, toasted bread and ooey-gooey, molten cheese. Mouth-watering, melt-in-your mouth delicious! I had one last night…I’m having another for dinner tonight. I can’t help it. They’re just dreamy.
I could eat one every day.
- 1 pound ground beef (85 percent lean)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion, half grated, the other half thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 12 slices American cheese, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix with a fork until combined.
- Form into 6 thin patties.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Drain the grease from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, place six slices of bread, butter side down. Top each with a slice of cheese, if desired, some onions and a burger. Top with remaining slices of cheese, if using, and bread, butter side up.
- When the bottom slice is toasted, carefully turn them over to toast the other side.
- Slice in half to serve.
©Copyright 2014 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved