Pasta tossed in a creamy lemon sauce with bites of chicken, artichoke hearts, and feta cheese.
A one-bowl meal you can really sink your teeth into!
The chicken adds an extra punch of lemon from a lemon and olive oil marinade that also helps to keep it juicy. You can grill or bake the chicken – I highly recommend grilling it to add a layer of smoky flavor.
I haven’t always been friends with artichokes. We didn’t start playing nice until a few years ago. My first encounter with them was at my aunt’s house back when I was still a picky, judgmental eater. Without any idea what I was getting into I agreed to taste one. . .
The next thing I know she’s plunking down a whole fresh artichoke that’s been steamed. An artichoke she had to have stolen from the jolly green giant’s own personal garden. It was bigger than my head, smelly and an odd shade of green. I took one look at it and went into shock. She quickly took it back. . .leaving me scarred for life.
To this day I’ve only worked with fresh artichokes once and after an hour of cleaning, I was left with a small pile of hearts. I figured it was more trouble then it was worth so now I buy jarred artichoke hearts. They don’t scare me and make life in the kitchen easier.
This pasta packs a sunny punch of lemon that will brighten up your day!
Lemon works so well with these ingredients.
The perfect complement to tangy artichokes, tender chicken and salty bites of soft feta cheese.
|Lemon Chicken Pasta with Artichokes and Feta|| |
- 1 pound boneless chicken cutlets or breasts
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- zest and juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between fingertips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces
gemellior similarshaped pasta
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts in oil, drained
- ½ cup pasta water (reserve from cooking the pasta before draining)
- ¾ cup half & half
- zest of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup block feta, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil or parsley
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Place the chicken breasts between saran wrap on a cutting board and pound out to an even thickness using a meat mallet. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large shallow bowl whisk the marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover with saran wrap and marinate in the refrigerator 1 - 4 hours.
- Grill or bake the chicken until cooked through - internal temperature on a meat thermometer should reach 165 - 174 degrees F. Remove to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil 10 minutes then slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the pasta to al dente in plenty of salted water in a large saucepan. Reserve ½ cup of water before draining.
- Add the drained pasta back to the pan and stir in the half & half and pasta water. Set over low heat. Stir in the artichokes and chicken. Continue stirring gently 2 - 3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest, juice, feta and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and a generous drizzle of olive oil.
All Rights Reserved.