Lemon cupcakes are a delightful mix of sweet and subtle tartness in a dense, moist cake topped with a light and fluffy lemon whipped cream frosting.
Lemon completely takes over a vanilla cupcake so that every bite is full of zesty lemon flavor that lingers on in your mouth even after the last bite is eaten!
The cupcake batter is infused not only with lemon zest but upon baking holes are punched over the top and a sticky-sweet lemon syrup is brushed over them.
The same lemon syrup is used to flavor the whipped cream frosting that melts like a light, lemony cloud on your tongue.
To me nothing says spring more than fresh fruit! Lemon is like golden sunshine with its bright, fresh flavor and sunny disposition.
I can’t think of a better way to usher in spring than by biting into lemon-flavored sunshine!
Lemon cupcakes with a light and fluffy lemon whipped cream frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl to combine.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer beat butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice. Beat in vanilla extract and lemon zest. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down after each addition. Add flour mixture in 4 additions, alternately with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture, and beat briefly until smooth on low-medium speed after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake wells. If using jam drop a rounded teaspoon full into the middle of each one. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center shows a few moist crumbs. The center should also spring back when lightly pressed.
- Meanwhile make the lemon syrup. In a small saucepan stir sugar and water together, bring to a boil over medium high heat, continue stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, stir in lemon juice.
- Cool cupcakes in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes and continue cooling on rack. While still warm poke holes over top about an inch deep with a skewer or chopstick. Brush lemon syrup over each one and then repeat. The leftover syrup will be used in the frosting. When cooled completely, frost with whipped lemon frosting. Store cupcakes in refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
- In a large, chilled bowl beat the cream until it thickens, add confectioners’ sugar and lemon syrup. Continue beating until thick and fluffy.
Adapted from A Baker's Field Guide to Cupcakes
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.