Skillet chicken with a lemon-infused garlic broth accented with fresh oregano. It’s perfect served with rice to help sop up the fragrant juices.
This comes together in a snap.
Onion and whole garlic cloves are sautéed before chicken cutlets, chicken broth and an entire lemon is thrown into the mix.
A 12-minute simmer and dinner is served.
Don’t be put off by the entire head of garlic called for in the recipe! The garlic mellows in flavor and seasons the sauce just right.
You will have no problem slicing up the little nuggets and eating them alongside the chicken without batting an eye.
Lemon wedges are added without being squeezed into the broth but instead allowed to slowly infuse into the sauce as it simmers. Squeezing the juice into the broth could cause it to turn bitter unless you do it at the end.
A sprinkle of fresh oregano finishes the dish off adding a pop of freshness and tying all the flavors together.
About 30 minutes is all you need for this fresh, hot meal that will be totally delicious and insanely comforting.
Well worth the time spent.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow or red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into eight chunks
- 1 pound chicken cutlets or chicken breasts pounded thin to an even thickness
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped fresh oregano
- cooked rice, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and add them to the pan with the lemon (don't squeeze it) and broth. Season with more salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Put a lid on the pan and maintain a simmer for 10 - 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken to a platter. Add the butter to the sauce and stir to melt, simmer 1 more minute.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle the oregano over top. Serve with rice.
©Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved