- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 + ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, just the yellow part not the pith
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or a 24-cup mini muffin pan.
- Add lemon juice to a large glass then add milk; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate large bowl stir together the milk mixture, butter, egg, yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla (don’t worry if it looks clumpy or curdled).
- Make a well in center of the dry ingredients and add the wet, stir just to combine, don't overmix or you'll have rubbery muffins.
- Spoon batter or use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin cups ¾ of the way full. Bake minis 12-14 minutes and large 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool pans on wire racks 5 minutes then turn out and brush the tops and sides with melted butter, dip or roll in sugar - you can put sugar in a paper bag and gently shake each muffin until coated. Once cooled roll in sugar again.
Deliciously soft and tender muffins crammed with lemon flavor and rolled in sugar while still warm.
With two types of lemon both the zest and juice, the flavor is prominent in each and every bite.
The crackly sugar coating offers the perfect balance to the bite of the lemon and melts on your tongue in a flurry of sweet and sourness that is delectable.
I like to make mini muffins out of them because they are easier to roll in sugar in their entirety and you get more of the sugary coating with every bite. The buttery sugar makes them.
It melts in your mouth when warm and after cooling forms a crunchy bite that is delectable.
I pop them into a paper bag with sugar and gently shake them to coat. Once cooled they may be a little sticky so roll them a second time.
They make the best lazy-morning weekend breakfast treats!