A meatloaf “crust” is filled with cream cheese & chive mashed potatoes and topped with cheddar corn and crunchy bacon. It’s kind of like shepherd’s pie only a whole lot tastier.
Growing up – and to this day – my Mom’s meatloaf was/is one of my favorite meals. She always made mashed potatoes and corn on the side – sometimes gravy too – and I always mixed my mashed potatoes and corn up into one big mess.
So. . . that’s where the idea for this pie came from.
The meatloaf has onion, roasted red peppers, garlic, seasoned bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, a touch of Parmesan cheese and and egg to hold it all together. It’s pressed into the bottom of a deep dish pie pan and filled with mashed taters.
The mashed potatoes have butter, cream cheese, milk and chives in them. They’re super creamy and utterly delicious.
The topping is corn mixed with cheddar cheese and topped with even more cheddar and a sprinkling of crispy bacon to finish.
It will breathe new life into tired, old meatloaf night.
|Meatloaf & Mashed Potato Pie|| |
- 1 + ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- ½ teaspoon sea/kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (92% lean)
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup
- ⅓ cup diced roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- couple dashes each sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 + ½ cups corn
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 slices cooked, crumbled bacon, for garnish
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat then turn down to a simmer and cook until fork tender 15 - 20 minutes.
- Drain well in a colander and add back to the pan - off the burner - add the butter, milk and cream cheese and smash them with a potato masher.
- Stir in the chives, ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a large baking sheet on the bottom rack to collect any drips.
- Grease a 9 or 10-inch deep dish pie pan with butter.
- Combine all the meatloaf ingredients together in a medium bowl with a fork.
- Press the meatloaf mixture into the pie pan evenly over the bottom and up the sides.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the meatloaf evenly from edge to edge.
- Mix the corn and ½ cup of the cheddar cheese together. Spoon that on top of the mashed potatoes leaving a small border around the edge.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup cheese over the corn.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it set 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon.