Delicious little meatloaves cooked in a muffin pan with a scoop of mashed potatoes on top like frosting on a cupcake and crumbled bacon for sprinkles.
Everyone will eat dinner because these little cuties are super hard to resist.
You can use ground turkey or beef for the meatloaf.The meatloaf is filled with cheddar cheese, roasted red peppers, onion, and the usual suspects: seasoned bread crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire and an egg to hold it all together.
They’re best baked in paper liners so they don’t stick and make a giant mess out of your muffin pan so you have to soak and scrub it over and over for days. I wish I didn’t know that.
You can cook the bacon “sprinkles” right alongside the meatloaf in the oven. Line a small baking pan with foil, spray with non-stick spray and lay the bacon down.
Once it’s cooked drain on paper towels, let the bacon grease cool a bit and then close it up in the foil and discard. No greasy bacon mess and no dirty pans. You’re welcome.
The mashed potatoes are rich and creamy with butter, cream cheese, and milk. You want to keep them on the thicker side so they hold their shape when you “frost” the meatloaf muffins.
For ease I use an ice cream scoop – just dollop the mash on top of the muffins and sprinkle with bacon and/or green onions or chives to finish.
Once you make these you may never go back to the traditional loaf.
These are just too fun.
|Meatloaf Muffins with Mashed Potato Frosting|| |
- 1 + ½ pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 egg
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ⅓ cup diced, jarred roasted red peppers
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 + ½ pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ - ½ cup milk
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- snipped green onions or chives, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with 9 paper liners.
- Add all the meatloaf ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine with a fork.
- Fill each muffin cup with ½ cup of the mixture.
- Line a small baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with non-stick spray and lay the bacon out in one layer.
- Bake the meatloaf muffins 18 - 22 minutes or until cooked in the center.
- Bake the bacon alongside the muffins until crispy 10 - 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Wash, peel and cube the potatoes - place them in a large saucepan filled with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then turn down to a simmer and cook until fork tender 16 - 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and add back to the pan off the heat.
- Add the butter, cream cheese, ⅓ cup milk and about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Mash with a potato masher until creamy and combined adding more milk if needed. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the muffins from the muffin pan and take the liners off.
- Place them on a platter and top each one with an ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes.
- Crumble bacon and green onions or chives over them to serve.