Chicken cutlets rolled up with roasted red peppers and mozzarella cheese stuffed inside and pesto sauce slathered on top.
All my favorite things.
Chicken cutlets are skinny chicken breasts – if you can’t find them in your market you can pound out regular chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer. You want them to be very thin – less than an inch thick.
I use fire-roasted red peppers in the jar – you can find them near the olives. They’re huge on flavor with a pop of vinegar that is perfect with the mild-mannered mozzarella.
I also use pesto sauce in the jar but you can make it homemade if you prefer.
Maybe I’m being lazy but lately, I’m all for convenience. . .
And quick, easy and delicious meals being I’m still unpacking and trying to get organized from my move. Six weeks later and I still have boxes. Insert giant sigh here.
I just found a box of spices I’ve been missing dearly every time I cook. . . Note to self: never split up your spices, stick them all in one box so you can season your food properly from the get-go.
Those are my words of wisdom for today.
Along with this: make these for an easy weeknight dinner when you’re short on time but want something extra special.
And super tasty.
- 4 chicken cutlets
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ cup pesto sauce, divided
- 2 (jarred) fire-roasted red peppers
- 1 + ⅓ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- about ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a small baking sheet or pan with parchment paper.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Lay them down in a row on the baking sheet.
- Top each one with 1 tablespoon of pesto and spread from edge to edge.
- Cut the roasted red peppers in half and place one on each chicken cutlet closest to the skinnier side.
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup mozzarella over each one.
- Roll the cutlets up from the smallest end and secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over them.
- Bake until cooked through 18 - 25 minutes depending on their size/thickness.
- Remove the toothpicks and discard.
- To serve top each one with the remaining tablespoon of pesto.