- 1 cup panko crumbs
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 - 4 boneless chicken breasts or cutlets
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces good quality Swiss cheese, half shredded and half thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- In a large skillet over medium heat toast the panko crumbs until lightly golden, stirring often.
- Remove them to a wide shallow dish and mix with the seasoned breadcrumbs. Add the flour to a separate wide shallow dish and the eggs
toa shallow bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spread half the butter over the bottom of a roasting pan big enough to hold all the chicken.
- If using chicken breasts pound them to an even 1-inch thickness with a meat mallet, small skillet or rolling pin - place them on a cutting board and cover with saran wrap first. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs dredge each chicken cutlet in the flour then the egg, allowing excess to drip off then into the panko crumbs pressing them on with your fingers if needed. Place in buttered pan. Drizzle the remaining butter over them.
- Turn oven heat down to 400 degrees F. and bake until cooked through 12 - 25 minutes depending on their size. Internal temperature on a meat thermometer should reach 165 - 175 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to package directions and make the sauce.
- To a medium saucepan add the cream, broth
andmustard. Whisk and cook over medium heat until slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Turn heat down to low and add the shredded Swiss cheese and cream cheese, stir until melted.
- Drain the egg noodles and add to the sauce with a tablespoon of butter. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove from oven and turn on the broiler. Cover the chicken with the sliced Swiss cheese and broil until bubbly. Serve over the egg noodles garnished with parsley.
Oven fried chicken cutlets smothered in Swiss cheese and served over egg noodles in a creamy, cheesy sauce. You must like swiss cheese or do not pass go. It takes center stage here playing a part in the sauce as well as being melted over the chicken.
Egg noodles are quite possibly one of the world’s most comforting forms of pasta. When you toss them in a sauce made of heavy cream, chicken broth, swiss and cream cheese then top them with hot, juicy oven-fried chicken you turn them into one of the most delicious creatures to ever cross your lips.
This couldn’t be more suited for bone-chillin’ days in the dead of winter when only a hearty stick-to-your-ribs kind of meal will do.
If you’re looking for an oven fried chicken recipe this is your man. Good all on its own without all the bells and whistles of the sauce and cheese. Tender and juicy inside, crispy on the outside.